Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eVic VTC Dual very rarely doesn’t fire - broken or normal?
I’ve been using the eVic VTC Dual with the Ultimo tank for a little over three weeks now and while it is an amazing device I absolutely love, there is one annoying thing happening that I fear might mean my device is broken, would be great if someone else who owns the VTC Dual can tell me if he noticed this as well or if this is only happening with my device, meaning that I should return it before it gets worse.

Sometimes when I press the fire button, the device doesn’t fire. No error message, the screen turns on, but it doesn’t fire, there is no vapor. It only starts working on the third or fourth try and then it keeps working perfectly for hours or usually days. Sometimes, the counter that tells you how many seconds your current puff lasted resets a few times during the puff, as if I had let go and pressed the fire button rapidly a few times during the puff. These two things happened extremely rarely so far, in this 3+ weeks of all day use I have only noticed it about a dozen times. So far it has only happened right after I changed the batteries or when the device has been standing without me using it for 30 minutes or so. Could be that I just missed it at other times of course, but I tend to look at the display after nearly every vape and then I would have seen if it would have only shown a puff for 0.4 seconds or something similarly short.

Could this be one of the protection circuits kicking in for some perfectly normal reason, despite there being no error message shown on the display, or is my device broken? This is my first "box mod" type e-cigarette, so I am a newbie at this.

Additional info that might be useful:

I’m using two sets of batteries, both pairs are married, brand new, one pair is Sony VTC5 and the other pair is Sony VTC5a, charged externally with an Xtar VC2 charger. I’m using 70/30 VG/PG juice, the issue occurred on both the ceramic and the clapton coil that came with the kit. I vape in wattage/power mode at 70 watts and I haven’t updated the firmware yet.
(11-02-2016, 10:39 AM)CryptoWyrm Wrote:  <clip>

I have noticed this sometimes with VTC Mini and it usually is the battery contacts, I just pull the battery and wipe the ends off, then clean the contacts inside the device where the battery makes contact, put it back together and it works. Sometimes I also have to unscrew the tank and clean the threads and the juice around the tank contact with a towel and Q-tip.
Hope this helps.
(11-02-2016, 06:29 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  I have noticed this sometimes with VTC Mini and it usually is the battery contacts, I just pull the battery and wipe the ends off, then clean the contacts inside the device where the battery makes contact, put it back together and it works. Sometimes I also have to unscrew the tank and clean the threads and the juice around the tank contact with a towel and Q-tip.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, that's very interesting. It's hard to say because it happens so rarely but I believe I have noticed the issue a bit more often lately and what I did absolutely notice more often lately is a tiny bit of leaking from the tank that didn't happen at first, but started happening when the coil got to the end of it's life. Especially the clapton coil I started using just a few days ago regularly leaks right out of the box, just a tiny bit. When it does leak, it doesn't leak from the airflow holes but from the very bottom of the airflow, so basically below the airflow control ring and that is of course very close to the 510 connection.

As far as I could see when unscrewing the tank and cleaning the juice off, the tiny bit of juice didn't come anywhere near the actual 510 connection, but it's worth keeping an eye on. I also use a kitchen roll to clean juice off the device and maybe small fragments of that could dirty the connection a bit. Would probably be better to use a piece of cloth instead or after using the kitchen roll paper towl so that this can't happen, I'll try that and see if it helps alleviate or even completely prevent this issue and I'll also try wiping off the battery contacts as you mentioned.
Hi CryptoWyrm, sorry to hear that.
Actually there're some possibilities that may cause the problem. Could be the fire button itself, maybe it is defective. Could be the 510 contact, if any e-juice leaked into it and didn't clean in time. Please always be careful. If it is the button, please send to the store for exchange.
(11-03-2016, 08:48 AM)Kermit Wrote:  Hi CryptoWyrm, sorry to hear that.
Actually there're some possibilities that may cause the problem. Could be the fire button itself, maybe it is defective. Could be the 510 contact, if any e-juice leaked into it and didn't clean in time. Please always be careful. If it is the button, please send to the store for exchange.

Hi and thanks for your reply! Yeah I thought it would likely be the fire button that's the issue. But it's hard to say since it does work most of the time and even when the button doesn't fire, it still turns the display on, so it's doing something. I'm in Germany so I can return the device up to 6 months after purchase, so for now I'll just keep an eye on the issue and see if it gets considerably worse over the next few weeks before I return it.

I haven't seen any indication of liquid on the 510 contact, I'm pretty sure nothing got in there. When the tank leaked a little bit there was just a thin ring of liquid marking the edges of the tank, so the liquid basically just pooled right along the tank's edge but left anything below it dry, so nothing should have gotten anywhere near the 510 contact itself.
clean the 510 pin on the VTC every so often. Ultimo too.
The Ultimo has a slightly shorter 510 than most.

Look at the ohms reading when it does not fire (heat coil/vaporise juice)
(11-03-2016, 03:07 PM)user359 Wrote:  clean the 510 pin on the VTC every so often. Ultimo too.
The Ultimo has a slightly shorter 510 than most.

Look at the ohms reading when it does not fire (heat coil/vaporise juice)

I'll try to look out for the ohm reading, that's a great idea, thanks!

The issue happened twice today, that's a first. What's interesting and what I only realized today is that the issue of the device not firing at all the first few times I press the fire button only happened on the ceramic coil so far, and the issue with the device firing but the time the current puff has taken resetting multiple times during a puff as if I had rapidly pressed the fire button instead of keeping it pressed, happened only on the clapton coil (unless of course I missed it before, which is possible since you only notice this if you look at the display while taking a puff, there isn't any less vapor coming out so you wouldn't even know that something was wrong otherwise).

So maybe it's just a case of bad coils. I ordered new coils today, both ceramic and claptons, should arrive tomorrow or the day after, I'll see if using those changes anything. Also ordered a pack of replacement O-rings, maybe those will help with the leaking issue, also saw a tip from someone about putting a bit of liquid on all of the O-rings, that's supposed to make a tighter seal and make them less prone to damage.

Now that I've been using the clapton coil for a few days I also noticed I use up about twice as much liquid as with the ceramic coil, is that normal? Might be just because I vape more since the clapton coil doesn't get as hot as the ceramic coil (after three puffs the mod gets to 40+ degrees celsius and I let it sit for a minute, with the clapton it rarely ever gets warm).

Update:

The puff time resetting multiple times during a puff just happened three times in a row after I changed the batteries, so I was able to check the displayed ohm value, it didn't change during any of the three times it happened, stayed at 0.51 ohm (clapton coil). My theory with the issue of not firing at all happening only on the ceramic coil also turned out to be wrong, it happened on the clapton coil today. I also wiped off the contacts before this happened. So it's looking more and more like it's an issue with the fire button I think.
It happened a whopping 20 times today, no question that the issue is getting worse now, so this is going to be the last update on this issue. I'm going to exchange the device for a new one on Monday. I don't think anymore that it's the fire button, 99.99% sure it's not, the button works, it just doesn't do what it's supposed to, so at this point I guess the board itself is damaged.

I hope the new one is going to be okay, aide from this issue I really liked it.
hope you get it taken care of. Although I have given all my joyetech mods away to new Vapers every one works flawlessly still
I just was returned my very first mod my Joyetech VT. The person I gave it to upgraded to the cuboid. I will not be giving the VT away again It is staying with me as it is the device that got me to quit smoking!

(11-06-2016, 09:28 AM)gfdeputy2 Wrote:  hope you get it taken care of. Although I have given all my joyetech mods away to new Vapers every one works flawlessly still
I just was returned my very first mod my Joyetech VT. The person I gave it to upgraded to the cuboid. I will not be giving the VT away again It is staying with me as it is the device that got me to quit smoking!

Thanks, and congratulations on quitting smoking 微笑 I'm not fully there yet, but the Ultimo tank worked much better for me than the smaller e-cigarettes I tried before, looks like I need the extreme amount of vapor, so I hope this time I manage to stay away from cigarettes completely. I tried it loads of times over the years, started with the original ego and the 510, then lots of different ego models that came out over the years. I mostly bought Joyetech devices, but also got one from Kangertech, one from Innokin and two from Eleaf. But those all never managed to get me away from cigarettes.

The Ultimo is really the first atomizer where I can see it working, where I can easily go for hours at a time without even wanting a cigarette. I'll try getting the TFV8 baby beast too. Would get the new Joyetech Ornate but that is too big (25mm) for the VTC dual it seems. Although if I understand it correctly it would work, it would just look weird? Don't really care about how it looks as long as it works.