Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evic VTC Mini not recognized
Hi there,

maybe this has been brought up before, but I've tried everything I could find on the web with no results.

I have an Evic VTC Mini (straight from the vendor), and no matter which computer I try to connect it to, driver installation fails, and I get the infamous 'USB device not recognized' message. As a result, I can't upgrade the firmware (my firmware is v3.00 according to the Evic), which is really annoying. Bear in mind that I work in IT, so I'm pretty savvy with computers and drivers in general.

So here are my two questions:

1) I've read on numerous forums that the upgrade MUST be done with the USB cable provided with the Evic. Sadly I think I've lost this cable, believing it was just another micro-USB cable. Can anyone confirm that the Evic cable IS actually different from other micro-USB (different wiring) and that it is required for upgrading.

2) If the cable is not different, what can I do to get my Evic recognized when I plug it ?

Any answer will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks
Hi there, sorry for the trouble. Seems the USB port got a probelm. Kindly please email to service@joyetech.com with your problem. We'll try to help.
(09-21-2016, 03:46 AM)DocZ Wrote:  maybe this has been brought up before, but I've tried everything I could find on the web with no results.
I have an Evic VTC Mini (straight from the vendor), and no matter which computer I try to connect it to, driver installation fails, and I get the infamous 'USB device not recognized' message. As a result, I can't upgrade the firmware (my firmware is v3.00 according to the Evic), which is really annoying. Bear in mind that I work in IT, so I'm pretty savvy with computers and drivers in general.
1) I've read on numerous forums that the upgrade MUST be done with the USB cable provided with the Evic. Sadly I think I've lost this cable, believing it was just another micro-USB cable. Can anyone confirm that the Evic cable IS actually different from other micro-USB (different wiring) and that it is required for upgrading.
2) If the cable is not different, what can I do to get my Evic recognized when I plug it ?

Hi Doc
You're in the right place to get answers so stick around.
I love my eVic minis, The PC won't ever install a driver for the eVic, instead run the Joyetech Firmware update software and plug your device to the USB. The Firmware update software will see your device and show the Device, firmware version and hardware version when you connect it.
USB cables are different, some have a data lead and some just have the voltage leads and no data IO leads. The data cables are a little larger in diameter but otherwise they look the same. If the Joyetech firmware update program does not see the device its usually either the wrong cable type, or the wrong firmware update program. be sure you download the firmware update program for your specific device and use a data capable cable.
one time after some windows updates the firmware update program didn't see my device and I restarted my PC and connected the device a couple of times, restarted the firmware update program a couple of times, and it suddenly connected.
Let us know how you make out with it...
Thanks for the quick reply, Cosmic !

So after trying more than a hundred times, my Evic was finally recognized by the app (meaning that Device Name, Harware version and firmware version were not blank anymore). Unfortunately, it didn't last and I'm stuck with the same problem.

I guess it rules out both cable and driver issues, my box must be faulty...

Shame...

Anyway, thanks for the help !
Be sure to follow Kermit Li's instructions, contact service@joyetech.com with a description of your problem, include video or photos if you can. I understand they are not fast but will help you get going.
(09-21-2016, 02:33 PM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  
(09-21-2016, 03:46 AM)DocZ Wrote:  maybe this has been brought up before, but I've tried everything I could find on the web with no results.

Hi Doc
You're in the right place to get answers so stick around.
I love my eVic minis, The PC won't ever install a driver for the eVic, instead run the Joyetech Firmware update software and plug your device to the USB. The Firmware update software will see your device and show the Device, firmware version and hardware version when you connect it.
USB cables are different, some have a data lead and some just have the voltage leads and no data IO leads. The data cables are a little larger in diameter but otherwise they look the same. If the Joyetech firmware update program does not see the device its usually either the wrong cable type, or the wrong firmware update program. be sure you download the firmware update program for your specific device and use a data capable cable.
one time after some windows updates the firmware update program didn't see my device and I restarted my PC and connected the device a couple of times, restarted the firmware update program a couple of times, and it suddenly connected.
Let us know how you make out with it...

Does any one know the specs of this usb device ? self-powered ? bus-powered ?  PID & VID ? ...
Thank you.