Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SPAM BOTS RUNNING WILD!!!
We have to do something about the spam on our forum, currently it's out of control with 3 bots at least running a post every 5-10 minutes. I'm wondering what other measures we can come up with to better protect our community forum from being plastered with garbage like it is right now. I'm suggesting that once an account/post is flagged for spam their posting privileges be revoked instantly until either the account is banned or their post determined to be legit. I'm wondering if anyone else has some good suggestions to help combat this debilitating annoyance.
From a Mind of Metal, Flowing Electrons
Enjoy!

Please Rate...

Register to Download Click Here!
I don't know what steps can be taken in the software, may need to change some settings so they can only make 1 post after being a member for a week. time to inspect the ip address for known spam and ban them before they post.
I do know I see some hazardous malware sites on the list of url's they are posting so don't click them.

also we need to be able to -rate more, I'm running out of -rates I can give them.
____
Δ
Join us
We can give them all the bad ratings we want the bot owners don't give a S#!t about the profiles the names are gibberish. They just want to spread their garbage all over the net, I'm thinking this latest run is just a single person. Wheres a moderator when you need one??....
Enjoy!

Please Rate...

THIS FORUM IS COMPLETELY USELESS IN THIS STATE. WHO THE HELL WANTS TO WADE THROUGH POST AFTER POST SEEING THE SPAM.

One thought I have, and I don't know if it's possible, is to make all first posts from a new user have to be verified by an administrator before the posting actually appears.

They should also be able to run a query for new user-id (today -30 days) and post count. Starting at the high, they should be able to spot many of the spammers.

Maybe add a captcha asking what numbers do you see in the picture at user sign up, or a stupid random question like how many characters in the word 'blue'.

They also need to clean up these user-id's, from spammers and non-existant users. I think we all had to supply our email address, so send out a blast for those that haven't posted in a while (say 6 months) and say if you don't reply with a specific word or something your id will be deleted on (30 days from initial email date sent).

I was going to write this topic myself when I spotted this post, but it was 'axle' a known, valid user. 酷
A Captcha box might do the trick. A bit inconvenient for users, but better than all this nonsense.
Thank you guys for these suggestions, we're now talking to our engineer to get this fixed.
(09-12-2016, 04:15 PM)Kermit Wrote:  Thank you guys for these suggestions, we're now talking to our engineer to get this fixed.

Just wondering as I am sure many of our other users are, where we are with curbing the flood of spam we have been seeing. What changes are you guys looking into?
Enjoy!

Please Rate...

(09-21-2016, 10:55 AM)Axleofevil Wrote:  
(09-12-2016, 04:15 PM)Kermit Wrote:  Thank you guys for these suggestions, we're now talking to our engineer to get this fixed.
Just wondering as I am sure many of our other users are, where we are with curbing the flood of spam we have been seeing.  What changes are you guys looking into?

Email verification would slow them down a bit if it was set to a delay. But I am seeing a couple new users posting silly posts, I suspect they will use to run a bot in a day or two.
____
Δ
Join us
Bot and spammer prevention thread for MyBB...
https://community.mybb.com/thread-115774-post-839843.html#pid839843
hope this helps
____
Δ
Join us
I wonder what kind of satisfaction they draw from posting 2000 word text. Is it they have no life including no sex life?