Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Espion only charges batteries to 3.99V
(08-21-2018, 02:55 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  It might be better to not fully charge your batteries, here is a link: five tips for extending lithium ion battery life

Not meaning to be argumentative (much lol) but...
If your batteries are charging to 3.99 instead of 4.14 volts, the cells are actually 96% charged, the life will be a little less than if charged to 100% but you will greatly increase the lifespan of the batteries and the number of charge cycles you can get out of the batteries. Id suggest USB charging often, and also charge when 30-50% drained, dont drain them fully. And also I learned that to store batteries discharge them 50% first!

Totally second everything Cosmic said. Li-Ion batteries love to be not fully charged and not fully discharged. Some time ago it was a trend to monitor how low a chip can let the batteries drain themselves and someone achieved 3.2V or even 3.1V before Battery Low. But the truth is, it's best to charge batteries at around 3.6V, going below will damage them over time.
[Image: banner1.jpg]
[Image: logo2.png]
That's one way of seeing something good in something bad...
(08-28-2018, 11:22 PM)tailland Wrote:  That's one way of seeing something good in something bad...

It's more of another intelligent safety protection built into the Joyetech MODs, the unsafe alternative would be allowing the batteries to charge to 5v, or until the battery overheated and stopped charging because it burnt up.

The alternative is to use an external battery charger, you can buy one for about $20. Or you can buy a $100 charger that has functions to regulate the maximum charge applied to the battery, like what the Joyetech MOD does.

I had once complained about the coil resistance reading being in error on the MODs compared to reading it on a ohm reader, but the deviation is slight and always on the safe side of the spectrum. Now I'm inclined to think it might be better to just not display the decimal part of the reading, but that might also be unsafe.
(08-29-2018, 12:26 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  
(08-28-2018, 11:22 PM)tailland Wrote:  That's one way of seeing something good in something bad...

It's more of another intelligent safety protection built into the Joyetech MODs
? How is this a safety protection to let the batteries charge to 3.99 when they're on a PC's USB2 port, but charge them to 4.2V (still in the mod!) when the same USB cable is plugged to a wall adapter ???
(08-29-2018, 12:31 AM)tailland Wrote:  
(08-29-2018, 12:26 AM)CosmicTruth Wrote:  

It's more of another intelligent safety protection built into the Joyetech MODs
? How is this a safety protection to let the batteries charge to 3.99 when they're on a PC's USB2 port, but charge them to 4.2V (still in the mod!) when the same USB cable is plugged to a wall adapter ???

It's not, I agree with Cosmic about the care of such batteries (I use insanely expensive high powered batteries in my TV work) but not that. It is, as I said before a feature of many USB ports on computers that they cannot supply the current required to fully charge a pair of such high capacity batteries. This may or may not be a bad thing, depending on how you wish to care for your batteries.

I have always used ( ie for 42 years using them professionally... they were huge and weighed a ton back then ...) and recommended external chargers for rechargeable batteries; or these days quality intelligent chargers, that cost more, but will care for your batteries better than any mod can.