Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Espion only charges batteries to 3.99V
I have bought a new pair of Sony VTC5 batteries for my new beautiful Espion mod.

When loading them in the mod, the batteries never charge above 3.99V and the charging bar stays at 75%, although the mod (seemingly) never stops charging them. The voltage stays there for hours and hours of charging without end.

Does anyone know what is up with that?
(Firmware is up to date)
First point would be are the batts real or fake?.. so many fakes around. 2nd, are all contacts clean and is the charger is up to the job?

I always charge in a separate, quality charger, so I've never seen that issue. Hopefully someone who uses the same Espion will be able to help. Please state exactly which model as there are a number of Espions now.
I always charge my batteries within devices. I suppose it's the thread about original ESPION, because he bought a pair of 18650's. I never had any trouble with any of my ESPION charging batteries. There are two possibilities: either batteries are fake or damaged beyond reason, or ESPION is faulty. Both can be checked with the new pair of batteries or external charger.
[Image: banner1.jpg]
[Image: logo2.png]
(08-14-2018, 09:56 PM)Crazybasil Wrote:  I always charge my batteries within devices. I suppose it's the thread about original ESPION, because he bought a pair of 18650's. I never had any trouble with any of my ESPION charging batteries. There are two possibilities: either batteries are fake or damaged beyond reason, or ESPION is faulty. Both can be checked with the new pair of batteries or external charger.
(I only buy batteries from reputable stores. As anyone should.)

Update:
For roughly the 5 days that I had them running in the Espion, I had only charged them via USB cable at my PC. An old PC with USB2 ports, and therefor low charging amps.

Now today, for the first time, I have taken the Espion mod and used it with an external USB wall charger, which has a 1.5A output. Up to now, the batteries have already charged to 4.12V and 4.14V and continue to charge.

That's an interesting change of matters.
I always use external charger! I have never had an issue! the original ESPION is still one of the toughest mods ever! 心
微笑  smoke free since January 2014 ?微笑
(08-15-2018, 03:08 AM)tailland Wrote:  
(08-14-2018, 09:56 PM)Crazybasil Wrote:  I always charge my batteries within devices. I suppose it's the thread about original ESPION, because he bought a pair of 18650's. I never had any trouble with any of my ESPION charging batteries. There are two possibilities: either batteries are fake or damaged beyond reason, or ESPION is faulty. Both can be checked with the new pair of batteries or external charger.
(I only buy batteries from reputable stores. As anyone should.)

Update:
For roughly the 5 days that I had them running in the Espion, I had only charged them via USB cable at my PC. An old PC with USB2 ports, and therefor low charging amps.

Now today, for the first time, I have taken the Espion mod and used it with an external USB wall charger, which has a 1.5A output. Up to now, the batteries have already charged to 4.12V and 4.14V and continue to charge.

That's an interesting change of matters.

You'd be surprised what reputable stores sell sometimes!

Yes if the charger cannot provide the current required to fully charge 2 cells ( PC USB ports are very variable in that respect) they will never make it to full charge. That's always the 2nd question I ask therefore 8)
Oh, that's unexpected! For the ESPION it's advised to use 2A wall adapter and a cable from a box for fastest charging speed.
[Image: banner1.jpg]
[Image: logo2.png]
If it is indeed harder for a PC USB port to charge a 2-battery mod than a 1-battery mod, then this should be noted in the manual, because is is really unexpected.
It might be better to not fully charge your batteries, here is a link: five tips for extending lithium ion battery life

Not meaning to be argumentative (much lol) but...
If your batteries are charging to 3.99 instead of 4.14 volts, the cells are actually 96% charged, the life will be a little less than if charged to 100% but you will greatly increase the lifespan of the batteries and the number of charge cycles you can get out of the batteries. Id suggest USB charging often, and also charge when 30-50% drained, dont drain them fully. And also I learned that to store batteries discharge them 50% first!
thanks Cosmic....I always thought my batts had to be 100% charged for proper storage! thanks for the tip! 心
微笑  smoke free since January 2014 ?微笑