Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joyetech Cuboid Review by TVC
Let's have a quick look at this Cuboid Review by TVC

after watching this i so want to get one. just wish i could still get a mod in green 舌 he did a good job on this review 微笑
I got to test out the Cuboid last week. I did not have a lot of time to send it through all of its paces but a quick review
Pros:
Price Avg is around $50 USD
very nice price point for a 150-200W duel 18650 battery Mod
Display: easy to read, well laid out & the duel battery monitor is a great idea
functions seem to be as all Joyetech products easy to access & change
aesthetics very nice looking mod (Stainless version) really makes it look like a quality build

Neutral: Battery door: Although this is a great looking design time will tell if the door holds up
It may very well be fine just had to note it may be a weak point for this mod

Cons: The only thing so far I can call a con is the weight. this sucker is heavy (is not a huge con as it feels strong)
this weighed only a few grams less then the Reuleaux RX200 triple 18650 Mod

It did vape very nice & after a little bit the weight did not seem to be a factor when using it but is noticeable when carrying it around
Personally for me it would be a great at work/home mod but would not be my go everywhere mod
so far I would not hesitate to go out & buy one & is still on my list to do so
I got mine last week Friday,

I was really impressed by the look and feel of the Cuboid and it functions pretty much the same as the vtc-mini, so it was a must have.

So far it's been functioning well, electronically, its brilliant, but the finish has started getting tarnished!!

It was my assumption that this device was finished in stainless... Apparently not, It is plated Zinc alloy!

I can't speak for the Cuboids in other colours, but the silver one's finish is rubbish and will not last.

If you inspect it closely with a torch and a magnifying glass, you can clearly see that the plating is horrendously thin!

I have had all too many experiences with shoddy plating from Joyetech's flagship devices:

Evic: button plating worn in 3 months.
Evic Supreme: button tarnished in 3 months. Although the rest has survived very well.
Ego One: again button tarnished...
Evic VTC Mini: paint peeled in places within one week!!

Now I have a Cuboid that has tarnished within a week!!! Don't even get me started on the rattling firing button...

Come on Joyetech, as you can clearly see I am a fan and have thrown a lot of money at you. I understand that casting Zinc alloys is easier and cost effective to machine. I also understand that you can get away with plating Zinc alloy, but most certainly not at the level you guys do at the moment. I think I speak for many when I say that we expect your flagship products to be made of sturdy metals. Marine grade Aluminium is just as easy and cheap to machine and cast. It even has a similar melting point but does not oxidise as badly and we as users can re-finish the case if it starts looking tatty. Also, how difficult would it be to make the screens out of the same gorilla glass as mobile phones?!

It would also not have been difficult to finish the Cuboid in actual Stainless Steel sheeting, which could chave been pressed into the same form, with spot welded threads for the screw points to avoid having to machine the entire case (I'm fairly sure that would also have been cheaper)

As it stands, I am furious because every time I buy a product of yours, I expect it to be the last one I'll ever really need and that it will last at least as long as the electronics do. Instead the finishes on all the Joyetech devices I own, including this 5 day old Cuboid, looked tatty from very early on!

As far as technology and reliability go, you are head and shoulders beyond your competitors, the only flaw is that the finishes on you products don't last.

There's no use making a "best in class" product, with amazing capabilities and looks, if it looks like an old tatty mod by the time you show it to other people when they ask "what are you using and where can I buy one?".

Please guys, make your plating A LOT thicker or clad them in a thin sheet of Stainless Steel, or at least Aluminium, wherever it comes in contact with human skin or the elements, inside could be moulded plastic for all I care.

I have attached pictures to show what I am talking about. The fingerprints are permanent, and don't even come off when cleaning with a damp cloth...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

When someone gives you a 3 months warranty, how long do you think the device will last?
It is your decsion of you want to spend USD 250 on a couple of devices, or if you want 1 quality item for 200.
(02-03-2016, 03:05 PM)peter-k Wrote:  When someone gives you a 3 months warranty, how long do you think the device will last?
It is your decsion of you want to spend USD 250 on a couple of devices, or if you want 1 quality item for 200.

You have a point, but all of my sub $200 devices still work, there are some $50-$70 mods out there that are well finished, Smok X-Cube II for example. My point is also that it would have been similarly cheap, to have made the plating a lot thicker or make the case out of Aluminium. Also the warranty is irrelevant because the electronics work well past the 3 months but the case on my (Silver) Cuboid didn't even survive the week! This is simply poor quality control, not me expecting a Ferrari when I buy a Fiat.
I personally would be more than happy to pay double the price for a device fully made of stainless steel, with buttons that last millions of clicks, a scratch resistant display glass, a high quality 510 connector, a manual that not only explains the features but also how to properly operate the device, etc.

I know Chinese companies can, not all but many. Why most of them choose to churn out one low cost product after the other for selling outside China?

Shrugging, don't know.
(02-03-2016, 03:29 PM)peter-k Wrote:  I personally would be more than happy to pay double the price for a device fully made of stainless steel, with buttons that last millions of clicks, a scratch resistant display glass, a high quality 510 connector, a manual that not only explains the features but also how to properly operate the device, etc.

I know Chinese companies can, not all but many. Why most of them choose to churn out one low cost product after the other for selling outside China?

Shrugging, don't know.

I completely agree, I would have been happy to throw double the money to get a mod built and finished to last, I also don't think it would have cost much more to do it either. If Provari or Evolve or Svoemesto built a box mod like the VTC-Mini or the Cuboid it would be hellishly pricey but you would know that it would likely last a lifetime.

(01-11-2016, 06:42 PM)gfdeputy2 Wrote:  aesthetics very nice looking mod (Stainless version) really makes it look like a quality build

Unfortunately, it's definitely not stainless at all.
(02-03-2016, 02:52 PM)si98justme Wrote:  I got mine last week Friday,

I was really impressed by the look and feel of the Cuboid and it functions pretty much the same as the vtc-mini, so it was a must have.

So far it's been functioning well, electronically, its brilliant, but the finish has started getting tarnished!!

Dear si98justme, thanks for your feedback. We'll take it into serious consideration and get it improved.
(02-03-2016, 05:24 PM)Kermit Wrote:  Dear si98justme, thanks for your feedback. We'll take it into serious consideration and get it improved.

Thanks Kermit, I haven't bought the other colours so I can't speak to the finish and quality of the black or grey, but the silver one is shocking. I'm really annoyed that I paid for a unit that has already got tarnish marks on it after only a week of owning it! I have thought of using a very mild polish to remove them but I'm scared that it will make it worse. I really am thinking of going back to the store and asking them to exchange it for another colour... They don't offer cash refunds so I'm even more irritated that I'm stuck with a device that has a bad finish... Normally, I wouldn't complain but with the VTC Mini going bad (black) and now this one lasting less than a week before getting tarnished it's really frustrating because I was looking forward to both these devices.

It may be worth pointing out that I live on the coast, perhaps in future Joytech should test their devices in those kind of environments.